Events > The Annual Great Tomato Tasting
Each summer, Rutgers University, the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension proudly present the Annual Snyder Farm Open House and Great Tomato Tasting. This year the event will be held on Wednesday, August 28 from 3pm to dusk. For further questions, contact us at (908)730-9419.
This event is made possible with the invaluable assistance of the Rutgers NJAES Cooperative Extension Master Gardener volunteers. While features change yearly, you can always take part in the very popular tasting of over 60 heirloom and hybrid tomato varieties. Past events have included:
- chef demonstrations featuring preparation of several tomato recipes.
- guided educational wagon tours of the farmís research plots.
- tastings of apples, basil, peaches, and honey.
- professional advice offered by the Hunterdon County Board of Health Staff on stink bugs, mosquitoes and black flies - pesky insects near and dear to local residents.
- gardening demonstrations for those interested in small, productive gardens.
Open House features include the Melda C. Snyder Teaching Garden which showcases demonstration gardens of deer tolerant ornamentals; ethnic greens; Blueberries, Hazelnuts, and Hollies from the Rutgers blueberry, hazelnut, and holly breeding programs; ornamental lilies; fun family farm photo opportunities; an "apple wall"; plus, apples and peaches from the NJAES Tree Fruit Breeding Program.
Rutgers NJAES faculty, staff and Master Gardener volunteers are always available throughout the event to answer your gardening questions and to make your visit to our research farm a pleasurable and memorable one. Bring your camera!
Additional Tomato Information
- Snyder Farm Great Tomato Tasting Event
- Tomato Cultivar Taste Evaluations 2008 - 2011
- Rediscovering the Jersey Tomato
- Tomato Varieties Database Descriptions and images of fruit grown at Rutgers NJAES research farms.
- Heirloom Tomato Reference Info & Seed Suppliers
- Growing Tomatoes Gallery Professor Peter Nitzsche's pictorial timeline from seed to harvest.
- FCHS Canning Resources
- Past Tomato Tasting Event Galleries
Home News & Tribune Video